Closer Look – programme for the Annual Distribution of Certificates and Awards for the Victoria Technical Institute 12th March 1902

The Victoria Technical Institute began in 1892 with evening classes teaching a wide variety of technical courses. Day classes were introduced from 1902 with the formal opening of the Victoria Technical Institute at the corner of Castle Street and Market Street. The programme which we are taking a Closer Look at is from the the Annual Distribution of Certificates and Awards for the Victoria Technical Institute 12th March 1902. It was presented by Mrs Poynton Haden at the Town Hall. The ceremony was accompanied by the Trobridge Orchestral Band, who performed three songs, the Avon Valley Glee Singers, who performed twice and had solo performances by Mr Hensen, Miss Jenkins, Mr Newth, Miss Hall and Mrs Pearce. A much more fancy certificate ceremony then many of us can claim to have had!

From 1932 there was a practical instruction centre for the Trowbridge senior schools here and in 1940 the building was taken over by the Textile School. In 1942 the Victoria Secondary Commercial School was established here to cover the whole county with originally 30 pupils enrolling.
As well as the usual school subjects the school focused on domestic science and needlework, as the aim was to give the pupils a skill for future employment. In addition there were more specialised courses in subjects such as shorthand, typing, filing and bookkeeping.

The school also had a strong sports presence with teams in cricket, netball, hockey and football and it also competed in local swimming and athletics competitions. It was generally a two year course, subject to an admission interview; but there were regular holidays and trips out, even yearly school trips to Switzerland from 1962. Exams were regular with both G.C.E and more commercially based ones set by the London Chamber of Commerce.
Below is a picture of a recent acquisition which includes uniform items from the Victoria Institute in the last few years before it shut. The first needlework class project was to make your own school uniform skirt for the summer term – bet that saved a lot of money!

It was shut in 1969 when amalgamated with the Nelson Haden School. Of the pupils on the register, the 19 in their first year went there and the 20 in their second year went to a special unit of the College of Further Education.

