BLOG

Brilliant Buildings – Parade House

Parade House

Parade House, a magnificent Grade I listed Georgian townhouse, stands as a true centerpiece in the historic heart of Trowbridge, Wiltshire. It was built around 1720 for the affluent cloth merchant Robert Houlton. Parade House quickly earned its reputation as one of the town’s most elegant structures. The house was described in Pevsner’s Guide to Wiltshire as part of a “stretch of palaces” along Fore Street.

Parade House 1968
Parade House 1968

The house itself boasted an elegant and symmetrical façade, characteristic of the Georgian period. An article in the Gloucester Record, published some 25 years after its construction, painted a vivid picture of its grandeur.  “Five large lofty rooms on the first [or ground] floor, viz. a spacious hall and two very good parlours in the front neatly wainscoted, a drawing-room, a servants-hall, and two stair-cases behind; a proportionable number of lodging-rooms on the second and third floors with closets and other conveniences, the front freestone carved and sash’d; a court before the house with iron gates, and a large paved court behind; the kitchen, cellars, and offices under ground, exceeding convenient and well-supplied with water; a pleasant garden behind with a good wall. It stands on the cleanest spit of ground in the town, a good distance from the common road, and a convenient distance from the church and market.”

 

After Robert Houtlon

Robert Houlton resided in Parade House until his death in 1738. His passing, however, without a will or direct heir, led to considerable confusion. His nephew, Joseph Houlton III, was granted administration. Unfortunately, Robert’s heavy debts meant that most of the estate was eventually distributed among his creditors. Among them was John Cooper, who took possession not only of Parade House but also Robert’s mills and other properties.

Having a grand residence of their own nearby, the Cooper family chose not to live in Parade House. Instead they leased it for several years to Maurice Jarvis, an apothecary. Only a year into their tenancy a careless serving boy accidentally caused a fire that severely damaged the house. This forced the Jarvis family to relocate to 75 Fore Street. Following extensive repairs, Parade House was temporarily let to Elizabeth Bythesea.  It was later purchased in 1790 by Thomas Turner, who had previously conducted business from the property. However, a few years later, Turner surrendered the property to Tabernacle minister John Clark due to defaulting on debts. Eventually, Thomas Timbrell acquired the house. Throughout this period, Parade House continued to be leased to various tradespeople. Amongst the lease holders were John Ching, a grocer and linen draper and later to John Warren Cary, a surgeon and apothecary.

1800’s and Beyond

The Timbrell family eventually sold Parade House in 1839 to the cloth merchant Samuel Salter. Salter subsequently let the property to his niece Sarah and her husband Jesse Gouldsmith, who would later become the general manager of Salter’s Home Mills. The Gouldsmiths lived at Parade House until 1863 before moving to a large mansion in Clifton, Bristol. For a period, J. G. Strachan, another partner in Home Mill, owned and occupied the building, but he too put it up for sale in 1866.

lithograph, The Parade and Wicker Hill looking towards Fore Street, Parade House on the left
lithograph, The Parade and Wicker Hill looking towards Fore Street, Parade House on the left

The ownership of Parade House through the remainder of the 19th century is less clear. It seems to have consistently remained a residence and place of business for various tradespeople. Notable occupants during this time included William Honey Hayward, a dentist and chemist, until 1880. Arthur and Sarah Heathcote, drapers and dressmakers, resided and traded from the property until 1901.

The Parade with Parade House on the left
The Parade with Parade House on the left

Parade House in the 20th and 21st Century

By the 1911 Census, Parade House was home to Miss Kate Morris, an unmarried dressmaker, and her assistant Sophia Pearson. A significant change in its purpose occurred around 1918 when Usher’s Wiltshire Brewery acquired the building. Parade House was the last of the fine properties along Wicker Hill to be incorporated by Ushers, and a series of connecting passageways and staircases were built. In the brewery’s final decades, Parade House served as its corporate headquarters, housing the managing director’s office and the accounts department, remaining under Usher’s ownership until 2001. Today, this historic landmark serves as a prestigious venue for both public and private events.

Carnival float from the cooperage department of Ushers Brewery outside Parade House 1925
Carnival float from the cooperage department of Ushers Brewery outside Parade House 1925
Add a heading (9)
museum site logo 2
By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy. See our cookie policy for more information.
Skip to content