Windows on Art
21 July to 11 August 2012
The concept of Windows on Art was to place artworks within shop windows, organisation windows and empty shop units. The benefits were twofold: to regenerate the town centre and to utilize the element of surprise and display art where people were least expecting to see it.
The overall objectives of this event offered:
- A Cultural alternative to the Olympics.
- Encouraged footfall within the town centre.
- Broke down the perceptions that art is elitist.
- Showcased the work of local artists.
- Raised the profile of culture in preparation for the Trowbridge Arts Festival.
- Trowbridge Museum, The Shires, Court Street, Trowbridge, BA14 8AT.
- Bath Midway Litho Limited, 32 Duke Street, Trowbridge, BA14 8EA.
- Fabric Magic, 14 Silver Street, Trowbridge, BA14 8AE.
- Civic Centre, St Stephen’s Place, BA14 8AH.
- Castle Place Shopping Centre & Market, empty unit 4 & empty unit 8, BA14 8AL.
- Coventry Building Society, 7 Market Street, BA14 8HB.
- Clives Creative Imaging, Castle Place Shopping Centre & Market, BA14 8AL.
Catherine Bloomfield, Stitched Collagraph Print
Each of my collagraph prints is unique, creating a colourful embossed surface into which I stitch on my machine.
Sally Evans, Watercolour
Art has been a passion of mine for many years and I have experimented with various mediums. Watercolour is a constant challenge but its translucency lends itself beautifully to capturing light and the beauty of the natural world. Wildlife and water are some of my favourite subjects as you can see from my Windows on Art display which includes fishes, a turtle and a dolphin.
Carole Stevenson, Quilt
Local Quilter Carol, discovered patchwork at evening classes in her early twenties, and was hooked!
Josh Bagshaw-Lee, Sculpture
Josh has completed Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design @ Wiltshire College, Trowbridge. The tree is constructed from local willow and represents a snippet in time. He is continuing with his art education.
Paul Workman, Acrylic
Mark Barnes, Sculpture
Mark has completed Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design @ Wiltshire College, Trowbridge. He has used recycled cycles for his working contraption inspired by the work of Tinguley & Heath Robinson. He is continuing with his art education.
Dorothy Hague , Collage & Engraved Glass
My art is based on wildlife having lived in Kenya for several years, I am now exploring a more abstract approach.
Ken Steadman, Acrylic
Inspired by Dali, acrylic painter.
Talia Messenger, Mixed Media
Talia has completed Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design @ Wiltshire College, Trowbridge. She has looked at planets for her experimental pieces. She is continuing with her art education.
Initially inspired by the landscape I use my images to describe my observations on life and hopefully instilling a little amusement into the images. I hope that my work gives as much pleasure to the onlooker as it does to me creating it.
For more information about this project and future Windows on Art projects please contact Sarah Jane Kenyon, Exhibitions & Arts Officer on 01225 751 339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.